Sunday 27 February 2011

Pressa Exlusive FTW Mix & Interview!!



To kick start our series of exclusive mixes and interviews from DJs covering the entire spectrum of Dubstep, we have man like Pressa stepping up repping the deep, dark side of the sound with a weighty mix and interview! 


So first off, for our readers who haven't heard you before, describe your sound for us!
I mainly make dubstep but venture in to other forms of bass music, my music always contains plenty of sub bass and I always try to keep it vibey.
  
How long have you been producing for, and how did you get into it?
I used to mess around on friends computers quite a while ago, I also did a short course down the road in Abbey Wood where I learnt the basics of the music production software Reason. I got my 1st laptop with production software 4 or 5 years ago. I got in to making beats because I wanted to be able to make music like the stuff I had been hearing all these years growing up.

Other than Dubstep, what would you say is your favorite musical style?
Probably drum n bass, I used to listen to it all the time (pretty much all I listened to for a while). I went through stages of listening to different styles, bang on the darker stuff like Renegade Hardware and Metalheadz through to the other end of the spectrum listening to the likes of Soul:R (still proper in to those kinda vibes). Yeah dnb's the one.

What would you say your musical influences were when you started, and would you say your influences are the same now?
I still have the influences I had at the start but with more now as I've become a lot more open minded, always been mainly UK underground scenes that have influenced me. If I've got a show coming up I'll try to make something that I think would work on that specific crowd but I never go against what I'm about. 

What artists do you admire today, and why?
A lot of the new heads pushing the deep sub driven end of the dubstep sound: Killa & Instinct, Thelem, Sleeper & District, Lurka, theres a lot coming through now, 2011 will be interesting. As for more established heads I got to mention Breakage as his mix cd for ATM mag was the major turning point for me to get on dubstep, it was half dnb and dubstep all the same kinda vibe, DEEP. 

Any advice for aspiring producers out there?
Just do you, no point trying to be like someone else because every other Tom, Dick and Harry are doing it, people will respect and appreciate you soon enough if you're good.

What are your future plans, releases, radio, shows, give us the info!
I'm looking to hopefully set up a night soon which is something I've been craving a while now. 
I've got a few releases lined up: a 3 track ep on Orientis (look out for them, SERIOUSLY) with a collab with Crisp on 1 of those tracks, I'm part of the forthcoming Mindstep compilation which is also a collab with Crisp, I've got something which is more on a jungle tip coming out on Top Drawer in the summer which is a 4 track project with Bojcot Selectah.
I'm currently doing a weekly show on Rood FM every Sunday 8-10pm GMT which is going really well.
I've got a couple of shows coming up, one at Dub Kulture @Black Sheep bar, Croydon 13/5/11 and then at Sub Bassment @Command House, Chatham 2/7/11.

Any other shouts or info?
Shouts to the labels, djs and promoters supporting. Big up Thelem, Crises, Lucas, Crisp, Mosaix aka My Mate Dave, Fish, Fused Forces, T4X, Legend4ry, Seizure, Arnok, GHST for getting in touch for the interview, my good friend Triple Helix (just sent me loads of Mongolian folk music to sample!) and anyone else who's been supporting that I've forgotten.

Big ups!

FTWMIX001 
 
Loefah - Goat Stare (DMZ)
Pressa & Crisp - Atom (Forthcoming Orientis)
Mr. Lager - Kailas (Various Production)
Subreachers - Deep Impact (Dub)
Breakage - Late Night (Naked Lunch)
Vivek - Grandfather clock (Deep Medi)
Pressa - Orbs (Dub)
SP:MC - Trust Nobody (Tempa)
Thelem - Drones (Forthcoming Orientis)



FTW

No comments: